- Daily Growth
Not only must we abide in God’s light; we must also abide in God’s love (2:28-4:21). To do so is to enjoy God’s assurance and to practice righteousness, since the practice of sin is incompatible with the believer’s new nature (2:28-3:10). When believers sin, they do not reflect the regenerate new person, but the works of the devil. Regeneration produces righteousness, and righteousness is expressed in sacrificial love for others (3:11-24).
First John develops the theme of fellowship with God in belief and in practice, and argues that belief in Jesus as the Christ becomes evident when it is expressed in actions of love and service of others. John sought to encourage his readers to obey God’s command to “believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us” (3:23) so that they would enjoy the assurance of Christ’s life in them.
READING of 1 JOHN 3
Lord, I affirm the greatness of the love You have bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. We know that when Jesus appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.
Meditation passage for today: verses 1-3, 11, 16, 18-24
- Transforming Prayers Enrich your understanding of God's greatness
- A Taste of the Classics Vol 1 Explore great minds of the past
- Simple Prayers A guidebook to help you pray the Scriptures back to God
- A Taste of the Classics Vol 2 Augustine, Lewis, Milton, and Tozer
- I'm Glad You Asked Revised edition of answers to difficult questions
- A Taste of the Classics Vol 3 Be mentored by great minds of the past
- Handbook to Wisdom Life-changing wisdom and truth
- A Taste of the Classics Vol 4 Read some of the greatest literature ever written